You know what they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I never mind waking up early when I know that I have one of these delicious Apple Pie Muffins waiting for me in the kitchen.
If you love apple pie, you’re in luck
Apple pie reminds me of my childhood when my mom used to make a super delicious homemade one. I loved how sweet the apples were, especially when topped with vanilla ice cream! YUM
These are great to prep for the week to have on hand for a healthy breakfast or snack throughout the day. Did I mention that there is no added sugar!
Ingredients used in these Apple Pie Muffins
- Almond Flour
- Almond Pulp
- Apple Sauce
- Baking Powder
- Coconut oil
- Shredded apple
These muffins are made with almond flour and left over almond pulp from make homemade almond milk. However, I understand that almond pulp is not easily accessible, which is why this recipe can be made without.
Why almond pulp? Well, the almond pulp makes these muffins incredible moist.
I love to add in yogurt to my baked goods. Yogurt acts as a great binding agent, and it also helps the baked goods RISE. It also wouldn’t be apple pie, if we didn’t use apples in the recipe, right? RIGHT.
I love to add apple sauce to my baked goods as well. This gives a great sweet flavor without adding any sugar. My mama always told me, fruit is natures candy!
Tools needed for this recipe
As far as tools go, you will need a blender or food processor with grater attachment, muffin tin, non-stick spray, cheese grater, medium sauce pan, and measuring cups.
How to make healthy apple pie muffins
If you’ve been looking for a go to muffin recipe- you’ve found it! This recipe could not be any simpler, especially if you have a food processor with a grater attachment!
To begin, you will start by combining all ingredients except for apples in your food processor and process until smooth. Then, you will remove the blade, and attach your grater attachment. Then you will add in the apple. Once the apple is all added in, you will mix with your spatula until well combined.
Once you have your batter, you will transfer the batter into your prepared muffin tin. I like to spray mine with non-stick spray. However, you can also use muffin liners for this.
I usually pour about 1/4 cup into the muffin tin. These will rise in the oven slightly, so you want to fill them up to the top.
Then, you will want to bake them in the oven at 350 F for about 25-30 minutes. To test if they are done, you can insert a toothpick into the center, if it comes out clean then they are done! If it does not come out clean, try baking them for a couple more minutes.
While the muffins are baking, you will want to saute your apples. This process is very simple!
First, you will start by chopping the apple into bite sized pieces. Heat some coconut or avocado oil in your sauce pan and add the apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon, about 1 Tbsp! Allow the apples to simmer over medium to low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
To make the icing drizzle, I just take yogurt of choice and water it down with water or for a creamier alternative- choice of nut milk, or any milk if not vegan!
Top the muffins off with some apples and then drizzle over with yogurt and ENJOY
Vegan Apple Pie MuffinsCourse: Breakfast
1 + 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup almond pulp (can sub almond flour)
1/3 cup yogurt
1/3 cup apple sauce
1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 apple shredded
1/2 apple cut into bite size pieces (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Add almond flour, almond pulp, yogurt, apple sauce, baking powder, cinnamon and coconut oil to your food processor and process until smooth.
- Remove blade and add grater attachment. Grate 1/2 apple into batter. Once added, mix with spatula until well incorporated.
- Add batter to muffin tin. These will slightly rise in the oven, so you want to fill them up to just about the top.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In the meantime, prepare your toppings by chopping the other half of the apple into bite size pieces.
- In a saucepan, heat about 1 Tbsp of oil. I like coconut or avocado and add your chopped apples.
- Saute for a few minutes, then add in cinnamon and saute until apples are well coated. Allow the apple to cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the apples are cooking, prepare you icing mixture. I like to use yogurt and water it down by adding nut milk or water. Milk is preferred as it will be a creamer icing.
- Once muffins are finished. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from muffin tin.
- Remove from muffin tin, top with apples and drizzle with yogurt icing and ENJOY!
- Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to tag @lovelydelites on Instagram!