These Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes are fluffy, soft and delicious. They are made with healthy and whole-some ingredients like gluten-free flour, fresh lemon juice, homemade almond milk and vanilla extract.
Why you’ll love Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
These pancakes remind me of Summer time. Something about lemon in a baked good just brings back memories from my childhood. I love how simple this recipe is. These lemon poppy seed pancakes are soft, fluffy and light. I love to drizzle them with some powdered sugar icing and a little bit of maple syrup. The lemon juice that is in these pancakes gives them an incredible flavor between tart and sweet. These lemon poppy seed pancakes are sure to be loved by the whole family!
Ingredients needed to make Vegan and Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
The ingredient list is short and sweet, just like these lemon poppy seed pancakes. I used whole-some healthy ingredients like fresh lemon juice, over-ripe banana, and gluten-free flour.
- Gluten-free Flour- My favorite gluten-free flour is from Bob’s Red Mill
- Almond Milk- I like to use homemade, however any nut milk will work
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Banana- an over-ripe banana works best to make these pancakes naturally sweet
- Baking powder
- Sea Salt
- Agave- this is optional! It just depends how sweet you like your pancakes
- Vanilla- vanilla extract really brings out the flavor in these pancakes, it is a must in my book
- Poppy Seeds
How to make lemon poppy seed pancakes
It’s really quite simple to whip up these lemon poppy seed pancakes! You will just need a few tools and ingredients and you’ll be on your way!
To start, you will want to mash your banana in a large bowl. You can do this with either a potato masher or fork.
Once you have your banana mashed, you will then add in you wet ingredients- almond milk, lemon juice, agave and vanilla and mix until well incorporated.
Once you have all your wet ingredients combined, you will then add in your dry. Start with gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well incorporated.
Then, you will add in your poppy seeds last and mix once more.
Set batter aside while you preheat your skillet over medium heat. Once it’s preheated, spray with non-stick cooking spray and add about 1/4 cup of batter to your pan.
Allow the pancakes to cook over medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes or until you see bubbles start to form around the outter edges.
Once you see the bubbles, flip the pancakes and allow them to cook for an additional minute. Repeat the process until the batter is all gone.
I like to top mine off with powdered sugar icing. To make the icing, simply combine powdered sugar and almond milk. The powdered sugar absorbs the liquid FAST, so you won’t need a whole lot. Just a few drops you will have a nice thick icing.
These lemon poppy seed pancakes are incredibly soft, fluffy and have an amazing flavor! They are both vegan and gluten-free, but I promise you won’t even taste the difference!
Vegan and Gluten-free Lemon Poppy Seed PancakesCourse: BreakfastCuisine: American
1 + 1/4 cup gluten free flour
1 cup almond milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 mashed banana
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp agave- optional
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 + 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, mash banana until smooth.
- Add in almond milk, lemon juice, agave, and vanilla and whisk until well combined.
- Then, add in flour, baking powder, salt and mix until well incorporated.
- Add in poppy seeds last, mix once more.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. Once preheated, spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add about 1/4 cup of batter to preheated skillet and allow pancakes to cook for about 2-3 minutes. Once you see bubbles start to form on the outer edges, flip the pancakes. Allow to cook for 1 more minute.
- Repeat the process until the batter is finished.
- Top the lemon poppy seed pancakes off with maple syrup for powdered sugar icing. See above for notes.
- Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to tag @lovelydelites on Instagram!