This vegan veggie tofu bowl is the perfect meal prep for the week. It’s loaded with a ton of vegetables like onion, bell peppers and tomatoes and packed with protein from the tofu.
I love a colorful plate. I don’t eat a lot of meat, so finding ways to incorporate protein into my diet can be tricky at times. However, a tofu bowl is always a great option. I love how versatile tofu is, you can easily change the texture, flavor and taste with just a few ingredients and seasonings.
For the sake of this recipe we are using coconut amino acids in place for soy sauce. I love the taste of coconut amino acids. It’s similar to a soy sauce, but it has a wonderful sweet flavor. It tastes great on veggies, rice and of course, tofu.
Ingredients in the Veggie Tofu Bowl
- Basmati Rice
- Bell Peppers
- Coconut amino acids
- Salt + Pepper
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
How to make Vegan Tofu Bowl
This meal is so simple to prep. It will only take about 30 minutes and you will have four delicious portions for the week.
To start, you will want to cook your rice accordingly. I love basmati white rice, but it’s totally up to your preference. You can use brown rice, right rice, fried rice- the possibilities are endless!
Then, you will want to drain all of the access water from the tofu. To do this, simply wrap the tofu in a paper towel or clean dish towel and set a heavy pot or pan on top to apply pressure. This will squeeze out all of the access water from the tofu. Allow it to sit like this for 10 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, you will want to sauté your onion in about 1 Tbsp of avocado oil. It’s important to use an oil that has a high burning point, such as avocado oil or grape-seed oil. Coconut and Olive oil have a low burning point meaning it can’t handle high heats.
I like to sauté my onion in garlic as well. It gives the onions such a great flavor and it’s a great addition to the veggie bowl. While the onions are sautéing, you can chop the bell peppers and tomatoes.
For the bell peppers, I like to use red, yellow, and green. But again, this is your preference! I believe one of each gives this bowl a beautiful color and also a great flavor.
You will only want to sauté the onions for about five minutes before adding in the bell peppers. Once you have added in the bell peppers, add in your seasonings as stated above.
Allow the onions and bell peppers to sauté for about 10 additional minutes, stirring occasionally. I like to add in the coconut amino acids, but you can also use soy sauce.
Add in tomatoes last and allow them to sauté together for an additional five minutes. Remove veggies from the dish and set aside.
Once the tofu has sat for 10 minutes, cut the block into cubes. Add 1 Tbsp of avocado oil to the same pan that you cooked your veggies in, and then add in your tofu. Season with seasonings stated above and allow to cook on each side. Toss the tofu occasionally until it has browned on all sides.
Now that you are all prepped, it’s time to assemble your plate! Simply add desired amount of rice, then veggies and top it off with tofu. Add a little more of the coconut amino acids if you’d like and… enjoy!
Vegan Veggie Tofu BowlCourse: Lunch/DinnerCuisine: American
3 bell peppers- 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green.
1/2 red onion
2 large tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic
1 cup of basmati rice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
Coconut amino acids- to taste
2 Tbsp avocado oil
1 block of extra firm tofu
- Cook rice according to package.
- Drain access water from extra firm tofu by wrapping it in a clean paper towel or clean dish towel and setting a heavy pot or pan on top. Allow to rest like this for 10 minutes.
- Chop onions, bell peppers and tomatoes and set aside.
- Mix seasoning in a small dish and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 Tbsp of avocado oil and add in chopped onions and minced garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Then, add in bell peppers and season it with half of the seasoning above. Allow to sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then, add in tomatoes and allow to sauté for 5 additional minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove veggies from pan and set aside.
- Once tofu has drained for 10 minutes, cut the block into cubes.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of avocado oil in the same pan and add in cubed tofu. Season with the rest of the seasoning and mix well.
- Allow the tofu to brown on each side, for about 7 minutes. You may add coconut amino acids for flavor.
- Assemble your plate by adding rice, veggies and tofu. Enjoy!
- Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to tag @lovelydelites on Instagram!