This easy homemade bagel recipe proves that you can make deliciously homemade bagels in your own kitchen with only a few basic ingredients!Jump to Recipe
Did you know that you don’t need yeast in order to make bagels? You can simply make dough with regular flour, baking powder and the secret ingredient- greek yogurt!
Not only does greek yogurt add a nice sweet flavor to the bagels, but yogurt in general in baked goods allows for the ingredients to really bind together and create a nice and fluffy bagel!
Ingredients used in these healthy four ingredient bagel recipe
For the bagels we’ll be using a base flour. I used Bobs Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour, but you can also use White All Purpose Flour, or Gluten-free 1-1 Baking Flour. For the yogurt- I like to use Greek yogurt. My favorite is from Greek Gods. Their Vanilla Honey greek yogurt gives these bagels an amazing subtle sweet flavor. If you are dairy sensitive- there are also a ton of non-dairy yogurt alternatives out there! You will also need baking powder and salt for the remaining two ingredients. Since the cinnamon raisin bagel is typically a sweeter bagel, I added in cinnamon and sugar to the mixture before baking.
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Greek Yogurt
- Baking Powder
Tools for making the perfect healthy homemade bagels
To prepare this recipe, youâ€™ll need a handful of items. Gather the following and letâ€™s get baking!
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups
- Damp towel
- Clean floured surface
- Baking sheet
For measuring you’ll need 1 cup, 1 Tbsp, and 1/2 tsp.
How to make healthy homemade bagels from scratch
Homemade bagels from scratch are extremely easy to whip together. From prep time to eat time, your bagels will be ready in under 50 minutes!
You will start by mixing the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar until well incorporated.
Then you will add in the greek yogurt and using a spatula. Mix until well combined. Once dough starts to form, cover with a damp towel and allow dough to rest for 10 minutes.
After the 10 minutes are up, flour your working surface and flour your hands. Note- this dough tends to be sticky, so don’t be afraid to flour your hands or the surface more than once!
On your floured surface, you will then kneed the dough. Flatten the dough and take one side and bring it toward the opposite side. Repeat this process until the dough is mixed all the way through. Then, add in raisins and kneed the dough once more until well incorporated.
Then roll the dough into one large ball, and with a knife, cut into four equal parts. Roll these equal parts into four smaller balls.
Using your finger- poke a hole in the center and begin to swirl your hands clockwise or counter clock wise. The dough will begin to take a bagel shape. Repeat the process until you have four bagel shaped doughs!
Add the dough to your baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, and drizzle the top of the dough with an egg wash. An egg wash is just a beaten egg, this will give the bagels a glossy finish.
Bake in the oven at 375 for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve with your favorite cream cheese, or store in the fridge up to 4-5 days. These are great warmed up in the toaster!
Cinnamon Raisin BagelsCourse: BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Beginner
Homemade cinnamon raisin bagels that are fluffy, soft and chewy! Made with only a few simple ingredients!
1 cup + 1 Tbsp flour (whole wheat, white, gluten-free)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp sugar (white or coconut)
1 cup greek yogurt
1 egg (for egg wash)
1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar.
- Then, add in greek yogurt and mix with a spatula until well combined.
- The mixture will still be crumbly, flour a surface and kneed the dough with your hands until well combined.
- Add in raisins and kneed the dough once more.
- Place the dough back in a bowl and cover with a damp towel, allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Then, add the dough to a floured surface and cut into four equal parts.
- Roll each separate part into a ball, and then using your pointer finger, stick it in the center of the dough ball and begin to swirl your finger in a clockwise manner. Do this until a bagel starts to make shape. Repeat the process for the remaining three bagels.
- Add bagels to baking sheet and brush with an egg wash.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into.
- Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to tag @lovelydelites on Instagram!