Chickpea Masala is a vegan dish that is made with a blend of spices, vegetables and coconut milk. It’s delicious, easy to make and perfect for a meal prep throughout the week!Jump to Recipe
What is Chickpea Masala?
Chana masala is a vegetarian Indian dish. The main ingredient is a variety of the chickpea called chana, however for this recipe I used chickpeas or aka garbanzo beans. This dish has a variety of different spices, making the finished product full of flavor and containing an amazing aroma.
Chickpea masala is so easy to make. From start to finish it will be ready in 30 minutes. This dish tastes great paired with white jasmine or basmati rice.
Easy Chana (Chickpea) MasalaCourse: EntreesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Beginner
Chickpea Masala is a vegan dish that is made with a blend of spices, vegetables and coconut milk. It’s delicious, easy to make and perfect for a meal prep throughout the week!
1 1/2 Tbsp avocado oil.
1 large white onion, diced.
3 cloves of garlic, minced.
2 Tbsp of finely chopped ginger.
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp paprika.
2 tsp turmeric.
2 15.5 oz cans of chickpeas.
1 12oz can of diced tomatoes.
1 13.5 oz can of full fat coconut milk.
1 1/2 tsp black pepper.
1/2 tsp salt.
1 Tbsp of garam masala.
Cilantro for topping.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add in diced onion and allow to cook until brown, about 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Then, add in garlic and ginger and saute for 2 additional minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then, add in ground cumin, paprika, turmeric, and garam masala and mix until well incorporated.
- Next, add in the diced tomatoes and mix until combined.
- Stir in drained and rinsed chickpeas and full fat coconut milk. Mix well and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix once more.
- Serve over jasmine or basmati rice and enjoy!