Peppermint Truffles are a high protein vegan and gluten-free dessert that are made with three simple ingredients, chickpeas, nut butter and dark chocolate. These truffles are then dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy cane for the perfectly minty flavor and texture.
High protein chocolate truffles
If you’re looking for an easy, no bake treat that’s ready in just about 15-20 minutes, then I’ve got the perfect one for you. These rich and Creamy Peppermint Chocolate Truffles are made with just 5 simple ingredients and have a decadent chocolate center that is made from- chickpeas!
Trust me when I say, you will find yourself obsessing over the texture of these chickpea chocolate truffles and their simple but perfectly sweet flavor. Plus it doesn’t hurt that they’re both vegan, gluten free, and naturally packed with protein from the chickpeas!
Ingredients in healthier chocolate truffles
Now i’m sure you’re asking yourself, how are these chocolate truffles any healthier than the real thing? Well, traditionally, truffles are made with powdered sugar and butter, but these peppermint chocolate truffles are made with only five ingredients and are sweetened only with the sugar that’s in the chocolate chips.
chickpeas aka garbanzo beans– YES, we are using chickpeas to make this recipe. Trust me, you won’t even taste them but they create such an amazing texture for these truffles.
nut butter– I have tried almost every type of nut butter for this recipe, however my favorite so far as been cashew. butter. Feel free to use a seed butter to make these nut-free.
dark chocolate– to keep these low in sugar, you can use Lily’s Dark Chocolate, or just any vegan dark chocolate that you prefer.
peppermint extract– just a touch of peppermint extract inside the these truffles to add a lovely peppermint flavor.
candy cane– crushed candy cane is sprinkled on top of these truffles for the perfect minty crunchy flavor and texture.
Tips for making a perfectly smooth chocolate coating
Making perfectly smooth melted chocolate can be tricky, however, if you follow these simple and easy tips and tricks you’ll have velvety smooth melted chocolate every time!
- TRICK: Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in an open, medium shallow dish. Place the chocolate chips inside the dish, then add about 1-2 tsp of coconut oil to the center. Add the dish to the center of the microwave and cook for 30 seconds. Remove, and stir really well with a spoon. Return to the microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Repeat this process until the chocolate is smooth and creamy.
- TIP: When the chocolate is almost melted, only microwave it for 15 seconds instead of the full 30. This ensures that the chocolate doesn’t burn, once it’s burnt, you can’t get it back.
- TRICK: Fill a small saucepan with a shallow amount of water. Place a bowl that comfortably sits on top of the saucepan but doesn’t touch the water. You want to create steam from the water, which will melt the chocolate. If the water is touching the bottom of the bowl it will ruin the chocolate. Let it simmer, stirring occasionally until the chocolate is smooth and creamy.
- TIP: Try adding in 1-2 tsp of coconut oil to help break down the chocolate and make it smooth and creamy.
More no bake treats to try:
Peppermint Chocolate Truffles- Made with Chickpeas!Course: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Beginner
Peppermint Truffles are a high protein vegan and gluten-free dessert that are made with three simple ingredients. chickpeas, nut butter and dark chocolate. They are then dipped in white chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy cane.
- Truffle Base
(1) 13.5 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup nut or seed butter, see notes above
1 cup vegan dark chocolate, melted
2 drops of peppermint extract
1 cup vegan white chocolate, melted
1 candy cane, crushed
- In a food processor, add in the chickpeas and nut butter. Blend for 1-2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Stopping and scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Next, add in the melted vegan dark chocolate and blend once more.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the batter and place it on a baking sheet that’s lined with parchment paper. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden.
- When ready, remove from the freezer and roll the pieces into perfectly round balls, place back in the freezer while you melt the chocolate.
- Using a fork and a spoon, drop each truffle ball into the vegan white chocolate and coat it generously. Remove with the fork and shake off any excess chocolate. Place on the baking sheet that’s lined with parchment paper and immediately sprinkle with the crushed candy cane. Repeat until finished.
- Option to drizzle with additional white chocolate for a pretty finished look. Place back in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden completely.
- Remove and store in the fridge. Enjoy within 5 days.
- Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to tag @lovelydelites on Instagram or Tiktok!
- Please consider leaving a comment and rating below.