Make your own Healthy Egg, Sausage and Cheese Sandwiches ahead of time so you always have a hearty breakfast on hand and ready to go in the mornings. This is the perfect meal prep for those that have busy mornings!
Skip the drive-through and meal prep breakfast
When I was working full time in an office, I would always try my best to meal prep breakfast so that I wouldn’t have an excuse to go through the drive-through, or worse, skip breakfast all together. I love making overnight oats for this same reason, but I wanted to switch it up and have something new and exciting waiting for me in the mornings.
That’s when these sausage, egg and cheese sandwiches were created. They are made with simple and healthy ingredients, come together very easily, and taste amazing warmed up all week long. These can also be frozen and warmed up in the microwave all month long!
Ingredients in breakfast sandwiches
These Healthy Meal Prep Egg and Sausage Sandwiches are 100% customizable as well. This recipe is made with chicken sausage, but feel free to switch it up and use ham, turkey sausage or even bacon. Grab the ingredients below and let’s get cooking:
chicken sausage– I used chicken sausage from trader joe’s which is really clean. It doesn’t have any preservatives or funky ingredients.
eggs– cage free, or free range eggs are best
red bell pepper– diced red pepper for some flavor and crunch, feel free to use any colored bell pepper that you prefer!
yellow onion– 1/2 diced yellow onion, this adds a nice flavor and crunch to the egg sandwiches.
pepper jack cheese– we like things a little spicy over here, so pepper jack is my preferred cheese. However, you cam also use cheddar.
english muffins– I personally like Food For Life or Dave’s Killer Bread.
salt and pepper
How to store these breakfast sandwiches
There are two ways that you can store and enjoy these breakfast egg and cheese sandwiches.
Serving now: Toast the english muffin, then assemble the sandwich by adding on the egg slice, followed by the pepper jack cheese and then the top slice of the english muffin and enjoy immediately.
Meal Prep: Do not toast the english muffin. Instead, assemble the sandwich as stated above. Then, wrap the sandwich in foil or plastic wrap and store in the fridge or freezer.
To reheat: If reheating from the fridge, unwrap the english muffin and lightly wrap it in a paper towel and heat in the microwave for 60-90 seconds or until heated all the way through. If reheating from frozen, repeat the above but instead microwave for 2-3 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until heated all the way through.
other meal prep breakfast ideas to try:
Healthy Meal Prep Egg and Sausage SandwichesCourse: BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Beginner
Make your own Healthy Egg and Sausage Sandwiches ahead of time so you always have a hearty breakfast on hand and ready to go in the mornings. This is the perfect meal prep for those that have busy mornings!
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1-2 Tbsp minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
3 chicken sausage links, sliced
12 english muffins
12 slices of pepper jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat (my preferred method and coating with non-stick spray.
- Prep the yellow onion and red bell pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the eggs and whisk. Add in the diced yellow onion and red pepper and then season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet and spread evenly.
- Next, add on the sliced chicken sausage evenly throughout. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the eggs are done cooking.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing into. Use a pizza cutter to cut out squares in the egg mixture.
- Then, assemble the sandwiches by adding on the egg, followed by the cheese slice, and then top it off with the top half of the english muffin. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and store in the fridge or freezer. See above notes on how to reheat.
- Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to tag @lovelydelites on Instagram or Tiktok!
- Please consider leaving a comment or rating below