Homemade Tomato Soup
The best homemade tomato soup recipe
What makes tomato soup so good are the fresh ingredients and delicious seasonings. This recipe is made with two types of tomatoes, fresh bail and garlic and is seasoned with salt and pepper. It’s simple but full of so much flavor.
This tomato soup is unbelievably easy and is made in under an hour, making it the perfect weeknight dinner recipe. Pair it with some crackers or a crispy grilled cheese for the perfect pairing.
I can’t wait to hear how you enjoy this recipe! If you give it a try, don’t forget to tag me over on Instagram and Tiktok so I can re-share you creations. Also, please consider leaving a comment and rating below (under the recipe card), this helps my business more than you know!
Ingredients used in quick and easy tomato soup
There are only fresh and simple ingredients used in this tomato recipe. The fresh ingredients is what makes this soup recipe full of so much flavor.
- campari tomatoes- can also use roma tomatoes for the best flavoring, but also any tomato will work!
- cherry tomatoes- I used tri-color cherry tomatoes, but feel free to use whichever you prefer!
- yellow onion- yellow onion is sweet, so it gives this soup a really nice flavor
- fresh garlic- I use two heads of garlic for this tomato soup recipe, I believe it adds a lovely flavor and aroma!
- EVOO- a good quality extra virgin olive oil will go a long way with this recipe, it also is great for roasting since it has a high smoke point.
- salt and pepper- simple seasonings like salt and pepper will go a long way with this tomato soup recipe
- fresh basil– fresh basil is absolutely necessary, both for blending into the soup and topping off with.
- vegetable broth– I prefer vegetable broth to keep this recipe vegan, but you can also use beef or chicken broth.
- coconut milk– most tomato soup recipes call for heavy cream, so for a dairy-free alternative you can use coconut milk from the can. This has a thicken consistency than regular coconut milk.
How to make homemade tomato soup
From start to finish this hearty vegan tomato soup recipe will be ready in a little under an hour, which makes it a perfect meal to enjoy for a busy weeknight dinner. I’ll outline the steps below, but be sure to check out the recipe card at the bottom of this page for complete steps and directions.
To start, preheat the oven to 400F and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
Next, prepare your tomatoes but cutting each campari in half. Add them to the prepared baking sheet and combine with the sliced yellow onion and cherry tomatoes.
Cut off the tops off of each garlic head and place that on the baking sheet. Drizzle EVOO evenly across the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Finish it off with the fresh basil and roast in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
When done, add the tomato mixture and all of it’s juices to a blender along with the vegetable broth and coconut milk, and blend until smooth and creamy. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one, but make sure the blender you are using can withstand heat otherwise you may ruin it.
Next, add the tomato soup to a large pot with the balsamic glaze and mix until well incorporated.