Nut Free Basil Pesto
**this post may contain affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission for products purchased through my link.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Nut Free Basil Pesto comes together in less than 5 minutes.
- Is perfect for those with nut allergies.
- Is filled with herby and cheesy flavor but contains no dairy.
- As written, this recipe is completely vegan, dairy free, plant-based, grain free and gluten free.
- Tastes amazing on just about everything- pasta, salads, vegetables, chicken, fish, potatoes, sandwiches, etc.
- Only need a few simple ingredients like basil, garlic, nutritional yeast and a good quality EVOO.
- Feel free to add in more herbs if preferred.
- Check out the viral Tunacado Sandwich for a great way to use up this pesto!
Ingredients And Substitutions
These are the main ingredients and substitutions for Nut Free Basil Pesto. Scroll down to the recipe card for a full list of ingredients and instructions.
Basil is the main and only herb in this recipe. Feel free to add in spinach, cilantro or any of your other favorite herbs if you’d like!
Hemp seeds are going to add to the texture and give that nutty flavor, but without the nuts. Plus hemp seeds are full of fiber, antioxidants and healthy fats.
Using a high quality extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) is going to be key to a great tasting pesto.
Nutritional yeast will add a touch of “cheesy” flavor but is completely dairy free. Plus it contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
Fresh garlic is going to add much more flavor than garlic powder or pre-minced garlic from a jar.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Fresh lemon juice for a good balance of flavors and a touch of tang.
How To Make
ONE: Add washed basil leaves to a food processor along with the hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, garlic, EVOO, salt, pepper, lemon juice.
TWO: Blend ingredients for about 1-2 minutes or until you’ve achieve the desired texture that you want. I recommend stopping and scrapping down the sides at least a few times to make sure all the ingredients are well blended together and ENJOY!
Tips And Tricks
Keep blending ingredients and scraping down the sides as needed to ensure everything is well incorporated.
If you prefer a more runny/ liquified pesto, add in more EVOO until you’ve reached desired consistency.
Feel free to add in more fresh herbs like spinach, cilantro or parsley.
How To Serve And Store
Serve this nut free basil pesto with eggs, on toast, served with chicken, beef or fish. The possibilities are really endless!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy within 4-5 days.
Taste And Texture
This Nut Free Basil Pesto is full of fresh herbs with a touch of cheesy flavor.
The texture is thick, nutty and chewy.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can leave it out, however the texture will be slightly more runny.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Other Recipes You May Like
- Pesto Crusted Salmon
- Tunacado Sandwich
- Healthy Italian Pasta Salad
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Buddha Bowl
- Salmon Bowl
If you make this Nut Free Basil Pesto, I would really appreciate a comment and rating down below, under the recipe card. Don’t forget to take a picture and tag me over on Instagram, Tiktok or Pinterest!