Pumpkin Coffee Cake Vegan Gluten-Free
Your cup of coffee’s new bestfriend
This vegan and gluten-free pumpkin coffee cake is moist, soft, and filled with a blend of lovely pumpkin spices. It’s then topped with a grain free crunchy streusel topping that is to die for. This recipe is easy to make and is perfect for anytime of day. I personally love enjoying it with a cup of coffee, but it also tastes great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This pumpkin coffee cake recipe is adapted from my fan-favorite Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Coffee Cake recipe. However, I stuck to one flour and one flour only- almond, which make this recipe perfect for those that are gluten sensitive or for those that are just looking for a grain free recipe.
I can’t wait for you to try it! If you do, don’t forget to take a picture and tag me over on Instagram so I can re-share your creations! Also, please consider leaving a comment and rating below (under the recipe card), this helps my business so much. Now, grab the ingredients below and let’s get baking!
Ingredients in Pumpkin Coffee Cake
This recipe uses simple ingredients like almond flour, pumpkin puree, baking powder, baking soda and over-ripe bananas. I add in a few seasonal spices like pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon to help really bring out that pumpkin flavor, but nothing too over-bearing.
For the base
- over ripe bananas– I personally love the combo of banana and pumpkin, and I also think it helps sweeten this recipe a bit. However, if you don’t have banana you can use all pumpkin puree instead.
- pumpkin puree– I used organic pumpkin puree from the can
- pumpkin spice pecan butter- I used Abby’s Better Pecan Butter, but you can also use any other nut or seed butter that you’d like. If you want this purchase this flavor, use my code LOVELYDELITES for a discount at checkout.
- maple syrup– You can also use brown sugar, coconut sugar or any other sweetener such as honey, agave, date syrup, etc.
- pumpkin oat milk– I actually used pumpkin oat milk that I purchased from Trader Joe’s for this recipe because I had it on had. However, you can sub any other milk or nut milk alternative.
- vanilla extract
- flax eggs- 2 tbsp ground flax mixed with 5 tbsp of water. Let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes to thicken. This is a great vegan replacement for regular chicken eggs. It also adds fiber to your recipes as well.
- salt– just a pinch of salt to help balance out all the flavors.
- baking powder- baking powder helps this recipe become nice and fluffy
- baking soda– baking soda combined with baking powder will help give this coffee cake a nice fluffy texture.
- almond flour– I always purchase a big bag of almond flour from amazon once a month. I know almond flour can be expensive, but I found a big bag of it on amazon for $13 which is an amazing deal.
- pumpkin pie spice– a blend of nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves for a perfect blend of sweet and savory.
For the streusel topping
- vegan butter or coconut oil
- coconut sugar
- almond flour
How to make Pumpkin Coffee Cake
This recipe may look like it’s a lot of work, but trust me it’s really so easy to make. First combine the wet ingredients together, then the dry. After that, mix them together and top it off with the streusel and bake!
Start by preparing the flax eggs and preheating the oven to 350F. Then, prepare an 8×8 pan by coating it with non-stick spray, and lining it with parchment paper, and set aside.
Next, in a large mixing bowl add in the mashed banana, pumpkin puree, pecan butter, maple syrup, pumpkin oat milk, vanilla extract and flax eggs. Mix with a whisk until ingredients are well incorporated.
In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix until ingredients are combined. Then add dry ingredients to wet and mix with a rubber spatula until a thick batter is formed.
Add this batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. Set aside.
Then, in the medium bowl make the streusel topping by combining almond flour, salt, and coconut sugar. Once combined, add in the melted vegan butter and mix with a whisk until you have crumbled pieces.
Using your hands sprinkle this mixture over the pumpkin batter and press slightly but firmly with the palm of your hands so the crumb sticks to the batter.
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let coffee cake cool completely before cutting into.
Pumpkin Coffee Cake is best stored at in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoyed within 5 days.
How does this pumpkin coffee cake taste?
This pumpkin coffee cake has a lovely sweet flavor and will pair perfectly with your cup of coffee. Since this recipe is made with 100% almond flour, the base will be very moist. If you prefer a more firmer base, then I would recommend using a combination of almond and coconut flour. The coconut flour will absorb a lot of the moisture and will help the base be more firm than moist. Please follow these steps below:
Instead of using only two cups of almond flour, add in 1/4 cup of coconut flour.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
I hope this helps for any substitutions!
Other Pumpkin Recipes to Try:
‘Tis the season for all things pumpkin. If you’re looking for a few other pumpkin recipes to try, take a look at the below!