Sourdough Bread Croutons
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Sourdough Bread Croutons are quick, easy and taste amazing.
- You can use any type of bread, not just sourdough.
- You can use stale sourdough bread.
- This recipe is vegan!
- Homemade croutons save up to two weeks.
- These croutons taste amazing on salads or soups.
- Try this kale caesar salad with cashew dressing.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Homemade Sourdough Bread Croutons are my absolute favorite! Not only are they full of flavor, but they are also a much healthier alternative to store-bought croutons. Here’s a quick over-view of ingredients you’ll need, but I encourage you to check out the recipe card for full details and instructions at the bottom of this page.
For this sourdough bread crouton recipe we are using sourdough bread, however, you can substitute any type of bread that you’d like, gluten or gluten-free will work just the same.
Garlic powder really gives these croutons a great flavor. Try swapping for fresh or minced garlic from a jar.
Onion powder adds a sweet and savory taste.
Salt and pepper are necessary to add flavor.
Extra virgin olive oil is used to coat these sourdough pieces so they get nice and crispy while baking. Feel free to use any type of oil that you’d like such as coconut, avocado, grape seed, etc.
How to make
Making homemade croutons is quick, easy and delicious. Follow these simple steps and you’ll be a pro in no time.
- Slice sourdough bread into 1 inch cubes and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add on the extra virgin olive oil and seasonings.
- Mix with tongs for 1-2 minutes or until each cube is well coated with seasoning and oil.
- Place the cubes on a baking sheet that’s lined with parchment paper and spread evenly, but not over crowding.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy!
How to Store
Make sure the croutons are completely cooled to room temperature before storing. Place them in an air-tight container at room temperature and enjoy up to one week.
Tips and Tricks
Use fresh or stale sourdough bread.
Cut the sourdough bread into small, bite sized pieces.
Keep mixing the cubes until you can visibly see each piece well coated with EVOO.
Make sure not to over-crowd the baking sheet and that there is room between each cube. This will allow them to be get crispy while baking.
Be sure to allow croutons to cool to room temperature before storing.
Other seasoning variations:
- Italian seasoning
- Fresh parmesan cheese
- Fresh or dried dill
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can use any type of bread. Either gluten-free or gluten will work, it does not have to be sourdough.
On top of your favorite salad or soup!
Up to one week in an airtight container. Just make sure you let them cool to room temperature before storing.
Recipes to try with these croutons
- kale and romaine caesar salad
- Panera bread green goddess salad
- Cashew caesar salad dressing
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
If you make these Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bars, I would really appreciate a comment and rating down below, under the recipe card. Don’t forget to take a picture and tag me over on Instagram, Tiktok or Pinterest!