Strawberry Shortcake Drop Cookies
Your new favorite spring time recipe
These Strawberry Shortcake Drop Cookies are fluffy, sweet and incredibly light. They are packed with freshly chopped strawberries and then drizzled with a two ingredient powdered sugar icing. These cookies are great for that afternoon slump or even better as a sweet and light dessert.
This healthy cookie recipe is one of my faves, and it’s the perfect treat for having on deck when you just need a little something sweet! They are on the healthier side and are loaded with everything good in this world like: fresh strawberries, fresh lemon juice and vegan butter.
I seriously cannot get over how simple these cookies are to make. All you need are a few simple ingredients and ONE bowl. I promise you’ll love these! Let me know if you try them by tagging me on Instagram, or leaving a comment and rating below! I love to see all your creations!
ingredients in these strawberry shortcake cookies
Like all my recipes, I always create with simplicity in mind. There won’t be anything funky or out of the norm in all my recipes, and this Strawberry Shortcake recipe is no different! This cookie recipe uses everything you’re used to: flour, salt, eggs, sugar, etc. So gather your ingredients, and let’s get started!
- egg- this recipe is not vegan, but you can however make it vegan if you want with an egg replacement or chia/ flax egg. Now I have to be honest and say that I have not tested this recipe with anything other than a chicken egg. But if I had to guess I would put money on a chia egg working the best!
- lemon juice– fresh lemon juice squeezed out of a juicy lemon.
- melted butter– 1/2 cup of melted butter, if you want to make these cookies vegan simple use non-dairy vegan butter!
- vanilla– can’t have a baked good without vanilla extract!
- almond milk– you may sub any other nut milk or cow milk if you want!
- sugar- coconut sugar, regular cane sugar or even a sugar substitute like purecane will work here!
- flour- I used organic unbleached flour for this recipe. You may also use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 gluten-free flour, or whole wheat.
- baking powder– we need it to help these cookies rise and have a great fluff factor.
- salt– pinch of salt to balance out all the flavors
- fresh strawberries– fresh juicy strawberries, chopped into bite sized pieces!
how to make strawberry shortcake drop cookies
For this strawberry shortcake drop cookie recipe, we’re going to start by mixing the wet ingredients first, followed by adding in the dry. Then, combine them together, add in the chopped strawberries, and bake! Optional, but encouraged, top the cookies with powdered sugar icing.
Let’s get started:
First, preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a baking dish by lining it with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
Next, in a large bowl, crack in the egg and add in the lemon juice, melted butter, vanilla extract, sugar and almond milk. Whisk until ingredients are well combined.
Add in the flour, baking powder and salt next and mix with a rubber spatula until a thick dough starts to form. Fold in the chopped strawberries last.
Batter will be thick, but soft. That’s how we want it.
Using a cookie scoop, scoop two spoonfuls of batter and place them on top of one another directly on the baking sheet.
Place the cookies in the center of the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
Make the icing in the meantime by combining powdered sugar with almond milk. Whisk and then drizzle over cooled cookies.
Enjoy! These cookies are best stored on the counter and enjoyed within 3 days for optimal freshness.