A quick and easy meal
Vegan taquitos are the perfect meal to make when you’re short on time. These plant-based taquitos are healthy, filling and are made in the air fryer making them much healthier than the ones you’d get at a restaurant.
If you don’t have an air-fryer, no worries! These taquitos can also be baked, or made on the stovetop. Be sure to tag me over on Instagram or Tiktok if you make this recipe!
What are Taquitos?
Taquitos are a Mexican dish that typically consists of a small rolled-up tortillas that are filled with beef, cheese, chicken, or in this case- meatless crumbles. The filled tortillas are typically deep-fried giving it a lovely crispy texture. Then are then topped with yummy condiments like sour cream and guacamole.
Although this dish is typically deep-fried, they can also be made on the stove top, oven or in this case the air fryer!
- small tortillas- for this recipe I used corn tortillas, but you can also use flour.
- filling- I used meatless crumbles for this recipe, however you can also use ground turkey, beef or chicken.
- toppings- pico de gallo, vegan feta cheese, lettuce, vegan sour cream, avocado or guacamole.
How to make
These vegan taquitos are the perfect weeknight dinner to make when you’re short on time. From start to finish they will be ready in 30 minutes! These taquitos also make great leftovers, simply throw them in the microwave to warm them up.
- Prepare your meat or meatless crumbles by hydrating them in some water. If you’re using a meat alternative, heat it on the stovetop and add in your favorite seasonings. I’d recommend something like Siete.
- Wrap the corn tortillas in a paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds. This will help soften them up, making them easier to roll.
- Fill each tortilla with the filling and then wrap it up tightly and place it on your air fryer rack (fold side down).
- Air fry at 350F for 17 minutes and then top with desired toppings.
Other cooking methods:
I love using my air fryer to make this recipe because it’s quick, easy and the taquitos are perfectly crispy. However, if you don’t have an air fryer, don’t worry. You can still make this recipe!
Baking method: Follow the same directions as before, but instead of placing them on the air fryer rack, place them on an oven safe baking dish and bake at 350 °F for 15-17 minutes or until the tops are a light golden brown and the tortillas are crispy.
Stovetop Method: Follow the same directions as before, but instead heat 2 tbsp of EVOO on a skillet over medium/low heat and add in the taquitos. Allow them to cook in the oil on each side for about 2-3 minutes, per side until crispy and golden brown. Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel, removing any excess oil.
How to store taquitos for another day
Taquitos can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer and be warmed up and enjoyed on a later day. Taquitos should always be cooled completely to room temperature before storing.
- Fridge: place taquitos in an airtight container or plastic bag and store in the fridge. Enjoy within 3-4 days. To warm up, wrap taquitos in a paper towel and microwave for 30-60 seconds or until heated all the way through. Alternatively, you can heat them in the air fryer or oven again at 350F for 5-7 minutes.
- Freezer: these taquitos are great frozen and warmed up at another date. Wrap taquitos in a freezer safe package such as a plastic baggie, remove all the air so it’s air tight. To warm them up, place them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, air fryer or oven at 350F for 8-10 minutes.
These were so quick and easy! Loved how they tuned out
Hi Brianna, I’m so glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for the comment!