Healthy Banana Protein Muffins
These healthy banana protein muffins are the perfect on-the-go breakfast or quick snack. They are made with healthy and wholesome ingredients like old fashioned oats, vanilla protein powder and sprinkled with a few vegan chocolate chips for a balance of protein, healthy fats and sweetness.
I typically love to workout in the morning on an empty stomach. I wake up and get it done early, but sometimes when I wake up I am starving. I will usually reach for something that will be quick, light and satisfying. These Healthy Banana Protein Muffins are exactly that.
Muffins are one of my favorite easy, on-the-go breakfasts – so having a high protein option to enjoy makes me so happy!
Ingredients and Substitutions
When I started making these muffins in the kitchen, I considered all the ingredients that I could add into them. It was important to me to ensure these muffins had simple and clean ingredients but still made sure they were sweet and satisfying. Here’s what I came up with!
- banana– the make these muffins vegan, I used mashed banana as the binding agent. The banana also gives these muffins a naturally sweet flavor. However, you can sub 2 eggs in replace if you want.
- honey– there is only two tablespoons of honey in this recipe, however you can use maple syrup, agave, sugar or even date syrup if you’d like.
- vanilla– vanilla extract is a must in any baked good! It always adds so much flavor.
- almond milk– you may sub any other milk or nut milk alternative.
- oat flour– I make my own oat flour by blending oats in my high speed blender until I have a simple oat flour.
- baking powder– to help these muffins rise.
- cinnamon– to add some flavor.
- salt– to balance out the sweetness.
- ground flax– i love adding ground flax to a lot of my recipes. It adds a fiber and doesn’t change the taste of a recipe.
- vanilla protein– I used nuzest vanilla protein powder, but feel free to use any type or even flavor that you’d like.
- chocolate chips– non-dairy chocolate chips to ensure this recipe is plant-based. Feel free to use any flavor chocolate chips that you’d like!
How to make banana protein muffins
These banana protein muffins are so easy to make. From start to finish you’ll be enjoying these muffins in just under 35 minutes. The longest part is waiting for them to bake in the oven.
To start, preheat the oven to 350F and prepare a muffin tin by either spraying it with non-stick spray or lining it with cupcake liners.
Then, in a large mixing bowl add in the bananas and then mash really well. I like to use a fork, but a potato masher will work great here. You want to mash the bananas down until there is little to no chunks.
Next, add in the honey, vanilla and almond milk and mix until ingredients are combined. Set this mixture aside.
In a separate bowl, combine oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, ground flax, and vanilla protein powder. Mix with a whisk until ingredients are well incorporated. Then add dry ingredients to wet and mix with a spatula until a thick batter is formed.
Add the batter to the prepared muffin tin and top off with chocolate chips. Slightly press the chocolate chips into the batter so they stick during baking time.
Place the muffins in the center of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before removing from the liners. Enjoy!
These are best stored in the fridge and enjoyed within 4-5 days.