Vegan Kale Caesar Salad
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This vegan kale caesar salad is quick and easy to make
- It makes a perfect meal prep for a healthy lunch all week long
- This recipe is vegan, plant-based, dairy-free and super healthy
- Topped with a vegan and dairy-free cashew cream caesar dressing
- Check out this crispy chickpea buffalo caesar salad
Ingredients and Substitutions
You will only need a handful of ingredients to make this healthy caesar salad. I found all of these ingredients at my local Trader Joe’s. If you don’t have one near you, most retailer stores should carry them too.
For the base of this salad, we will be using kale and romaine lettuce. You can also use your favorite lettuce instead like arugula, iceberg, butterhead, or leaf lettuce.
For the toppings I used golden raisins, pistachios, and cherry tomatoes. Feel free to use regular raisins if that’s all you can find. It will have a slightly different flavor, but won’t alter it too much. You can also use a different nut like cashews, pecans, or walnuts. Swap the cherry tomatoes for grape tomatoes.
If you’re short on time, swap the homemade croutons for store-bought. You can use regular or gluten-free croutons.
Don’t have a blender to make the cashew caesar dressing? Use your favorite store bought caesar salad dressing instead. You can use vegan or non-vegan, I love the one from Primal Kitchen Foods.
How to massage kale?
This vegan kale and romaine caesar salad is refreshing, crisp and filling. We use equal parts of kale and romaine for the perfect balance. You get the refreshing crunch from the romaine, but the green goodness benefits of the kale.
If you’re like, “Hannah, kale tastes terrible.” Let me change your mind. You MUST massage your kale with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, this helps break down the tough leaves and makes them really soft and taste incredible.
- Add kale to a large bowl
- Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Using your clean hands, get in there and really work the kale leaves for about 30 seconds to 1 minute
- Your kale will look soft and tender instead of tough
How to make
This kale and romaine caesar salad is both simple and quick to make. Below is just a quick over view of the process, but be sure to check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post for more detailed step-by-step instructions.
- Make the croutons and vegan caesar salad dressing, check out the blog posts for more in-depth instructions.
- Next, in a large bowl add in the kale and massage until soft and tender.
- Add in the chopped romaine lettuce and mix until the two are well combined.
- Add on the golden raisins, pistachios, and halved cherry tomatoes.
- Top it off with the crispy homemade croutons and vegan cashew caesar dressing, enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Massage kale with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper for best results
- Make the croutons and vegan dressing before the salad
- For best results, store the salad separately from the toppings and dressing
How to serve and store
For best results, massage the kale salad when ready to eat. Storing after it’s been massaged may result in a soggy salad.
Store toppings separately, and assemble when ready to enjoy.
You may also like
- Healthy Chinese Chicken Salad
- Panera Bread Green Goddess Salad
- Fall Harvest Kale Salad
- Buffalo Chickpea Caesar Salad
- Cashew Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing
If you make this Vegan Kale and Romaine Salad recipe, I would really appreciate a comment and rating down below, under the recipe card. Don’t forget to take a picture and tag me over on Instagram, Tiktok or Pinterest!